Monday, May 18, 2009

A Ride in the Flint Hills

Yesterday I rode in the Flint Hills. It was just a great day for a ride with the temperatures in the upper 60’s to low 70’s. My kind of riding day. I went west of Topeka on I-70 about 8 miles then took the Vera road exit and headed south through the country on rock roads. I came to and intersection and went west to Boot Hill road and then went south again. As I reached the top of a large hill I stopped to take some pictures of the countryside. This is Jeffery Energy Center about 25 miles away.
Jeffery Energy Center
The rolling hills of the Flint Hills.
flint hills
I came to a small cemetery that I had stopped at before. I got off and took a picture of a grave and while stooped over a turkey flew out of the weeds and it about scared me to death.
Grave marker
Some of the roads had large rocks on them.
rocky crossing
Then I came to this area where not many had traveled because grass was growing on the road.
grass on road
I soon found out why no one was traveling this road.
rough way down
I wanted to check this out before I ventured down the hill so I walked down a ways to see if I wanted to try it. This is what I saw.
Oh My!
Well I decided I could probably make it if I picked my way down and didn't go too fast. The problem with the GS is low gear is not slow enough to suit me. With 6 gears low should be slower IMHO.:evil
I made it to the bottom with much bouncing around and stopped to check out the mud. It didn't look too bad so I went through. This is what it looked like looking back up the hill.
Rough trail
There were many birds out enjoying the nice day too. I saw doves, finches, red tail hawks, turkeys, kingbirds, cardinals, flycatchers, killdeer and other birds.
killdeer
Here are pictures of a male scissor tailed flycatcher.
Male Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
So it was a great day for a ride and I made it home safely. The only damage was the loss of my garage door opener I had attached to the bike. Darn! Now I need a new one.

No comments: