Sunday, September 30, 2007

Heading Southwest

Well I am back on the road again after two weeks off. While I was off I put on two new tires, front brake pads, changed the oil and filter and changed the final drive gear lube. I was glad I had on new tires today because the wind was terrible.

I went to 7:30 Mass and left home at 8:45 with the temperature at 70 degrees. I took the Auburn road south through Burlingame and then west on hwy 56. I entered the Turnpike at Admire and went to Emporia in Lyon County for my first stop. A young man was walking his dog and I asked him if he would take my picture and he did.

I continued on south on hwy 99 to 54 hwy and into Eureka in Greenwood County. It was starting to warm up there and was 80 degrees.
I went west out of Eureka on hwy 54 and the wind was terribly strong out of the south. I was riding next to center line and it would blow me across the lane to the shoulder. There was a time or two I wasn’t sure I could hold it. The speed limit was 65 so I slowed to 55. My big concern was a truck coming from the west. They pack a lot of wind but I was fortunate in that none came. The wind was so gusty it would lean me over then back up. I made the 30 miles to El Dorado in Butler County and was glad that was over.
Now I took hwy 77 south to hwy 400 where I started back east. This didn’t seem to be quite as bad. I came across some wind chargers and they were making electricity. It is surprising though that they always seem to turn about the same speed, or so it appears. I met an oversize load today that had two wind charger blades on it. I’m not sure how long these trucks are but they appear to be over 100 feet. I came to hwy 99 and turned south again and came to Howard in Elk County.
I continued south on hwy 99 to Sedan in Chautauqua County.

Then I headed west on hwy 166 stopping once to take a picture of a cotton field. I stopped in Winfield and ate some lunch about 2 PM and then the rain clouds were coming in. I needed gas so I pulled into a Casey’s and waited for most of the rain to let up. I put on my rain clothes and went and took the picture of the Cowley County courthouse.
I headed on west on 160 hwy and only went a few miles and the road were dry and the temperature was climbing back up so I took the rain clothes off. The high temperature was about 89 degrees with lots of humidity. I went to Wellington in Sumner County.

From there I went back east 3 miles and got on the Turnpike headed north to Wichita. The wind was strong here. I got off on I-135 to Kellogg where I went west to downtown. Wichita in Sedgwick County has both an old and new courthouse with the old one being my favorite.

I continued west on 54 and shortly after leaving Wichita the wind came out of the northwest about as strong as earlier in the day. There was blowing dust. I made it to Kingman in Kingman County.

From there I headed back south on 14 hwy to Anthony in Harper County. They have a pretty courthouse.

I went back north on hwy 14 to hwy 160 where I headed west to Medicine Lodge in Barber County. By now it was starting to cool off and the temperatures were falling so it was comfortable.

I went north on hwy 281 to Pratt in Pratt County and am spending the night here at a Super 8 motel and arrived about 6:30. I rode 488 miles today and made it to twelve counties.

No comments: