Monday, October 1, 2007

Heading Southwest Day 2

Today had several highs and lows. The high temperature was 89 and the low was 45 this morning. The high wind speed was about 20 mph which was lower than yesterday and there was no wind this morning. I tried to eat lunch in Ashland and after waiting 45 minutes for my meal I left. Tonight in Liberal in a Mexican restaurant I was served in about 15 minutes. I traveled more miles yesterday than today with only 445 today. That was because of the 45 minutes wait in Ashland. I still haven’t forgotten about it. It might also be because I stopped to take more pictures too.

I left Pratt this morning about 7:30 and it was a beautiful morning. There was a heavy dew and the green fields glistened. While I was driving I took a picture of my shadow. I like the smell of fresh air, new cut alfalfa, recently turned soil, but not the feedlots. I went north on 283 hwy to St John in Stafford County.

From there I went on north to hwy 19 where I headed west to Larned in Pawnee County.

I then headed southwest on 56 hwy to Kinsley in Edwards County. Now you would think in a small town like this I could find a big courthouse, but no, I had to ask. It was not in the usual place near Main Street but north of hwy 56 which seemed a little out of place. Now when I headed south of Kinsley there are many miles where no one lives and I drove by three U-Haul trucks setting off the side of the road. I went about a mile and decided I had to turn around and get a picture of this for my good friend Pat Crahan of U-Haul International that lives in Phoenix, AZ. He would find this amusing, as did I. I suppose there was a number to call but there were no houses around.

From there I headed south on hwy 183 and east on hwy 54 to Greensburg in Kiowa County. Now the courthouse was not destroyed in the tornado but was damaged and still has windows broken out. The inside may be a mess. In some of the pictures I took, including this one, you can see "Tweety" on the back of my bike. When I was in Greensburg with the Salvation Army I recovered him from the rubble so he went back for a visit. There is a temporary one across the street. There are many temporary buildings including City Hall, other city buildings, schools and FEMA housing which are in the southeast section of town. There is some building going on but many are spec houses. The care home is being rebuilt and John Deere has a new building but very little machinery. There is a KWIK shop open also. It will take a long time to rebuild and will never be the same. I forgot to go by the well but when I was there with the Salvation Army everything above ground was destroyed.

After leaving Greensburg I headed back west about 9 miles and had to go to Mullinville and take pictures of the yard art a man has created. When we were driving back and forth to Dodge City we saw this each day and I wanted some pictures. I went back east to 183 hwy and headed south to Coldwater in Comanche County. We lived southeast of Coldwater after I quit the Patrol in 1979. I worked for the Merrill Ranch as a cowboy for about two years and the boys went to school in Coldwater. A lady took my picture at the courthouse.

From there I headed on south on hwy 183 to 160 hwy where I headed west to Ashland in Clark County. Enough said about Ashland.

From there I continued west to Meade in Meade County. All throughout the day there were many farmers in the field harvesting, sowing wheat, and putting up hay. It is a busy time of year.
I headed north on hwy 23 to Cimarron in Gray county. On the way before reaching hwy 56 there were many wind chargers and I took several pictures of them. These were right next to the road and they are huge. I saw more later northeast of Dodge City.

I headed east on hwy 400 to cow town or Dodge City in Ford County. The courthouse is on Gunsmoke Street.

I then headed north on 283 to Jetmore in Hodgeman County.

From Jetmore I headed southwest on hwy 156 which is a desolate stretch of 56 miles with a crosswind blowing. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be when I met the trucks and this road carries a lot of trucks. I made it to Garden City in Finney County and “Lola” took me right to the courthouse. She was in pretty good humor today. It amazes me no matter where you go farmers along the way have a sense of humor. Today I saw this real short, full size, windmill some one had taken the time to set up. Its only purpose was for our entertainment.
From Garden City I headed south on hwy 83. There were many harvesters in this area and many fields of irrigated corn, cotton, sunflowers, beans, and hay. I stopped twice today and took pictures where they a piling the corn on the ground. It looks like the corn is excellent as is most of the milo. The dry land milo is not so good. My next stop was in Sublette in Haskell County. I called Super 8 in Liberal from there but they did not have any vacancies.
I headed on south on 160 hwy to Liberal in Seward County and found a Rodeway Inn at a good price and am spending the night here.

No comments: