Monday, June 7, 2010

Athens,TN to Fletcher, NC

The room in Athens left a little to be desired but I guess for $43 what can you expect?  First thing the ice maker didn't work so I went to the office to inquire if there was another and he said no.  He said he would give me some money if I wanted to go next door to the service station and buy a bag of ice so I did.  I filled my ice bucket and gave him the change and the rest of the ice so that worked out okay.  I turned on the air and it worked but I noticed a musty smell and the carpet was wet by the unit.  It drained on the floor instead of outside.  Then I went to take a shower and the shower curtain was about 8 inches too long and the bottom of it was all moldy.  The shower worked though.  The bed was short and firm, kinda like the floor.  By morning it was warm in there and I was a little stiff.  I went over for the Continental breakfast to find orange juice, coffee and a cookie.  I had the coffee and juice and checked out.  I rode next door and filled with gas.  I stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast then Wal-mart for Ibuprofen for my neck.  Another stop at a parts store to repair a vacuum leak on the bike and I was off and running.

It was a perfect day for riding. It started off about 73 degrees and the day ended that way with clear skies and no rain.  It did get down in the upper 50's in the mountains though.  I left Athens on a narrow, winding two lane that is called the Cherohla Skyway and it ends at Robbinsville, NC.  This picture does not show how dark it was but the road was covered with trees and the flash went off.

I wanted to stop and get a picture of the Smoky Mountains and the first placed I stopped I climbed up on a rock wall and this Indigo Bunting flew up and landed near me.  I had tried getting a picture of one at Perry Lake in Kansas but without success.  So this was a real treat for me.

Both in Tennessee and in North Carolina there are many motorcyclists because of all the curvy, winding roads to ride and they were out in force today.  I stopped and visited with several of them along the road, at service stations and at a Ma & Pa barbecue roadside diner.
I entered the Blue Ridge Parkway at is beginning near Cherokee, NC.    The highest point was Great Balsum mountain at 6,410 feet.  The flowers, bushes, butterflies, and shrubs are amazing and it is difficult to catch the full beauty with pictures so I guess  you will just have to make the trip yourself.

You get the idea.  Yes the roadside is very beautiful.  Most of it is not mowed unlike the Trace.  The rocks and trees come up close to the road.  The speed limit is 45mph and there are lots of motorcycles, small cars, convertibles and regular cars and pickups enjoying the views.  Since it was such a nice day many were just enjoying a lazy day on a rock, a blanket or taking pictures.  The total length is about 450 miles.  I made it about 80 miles maybe, but then the road was closed and they detoured us off on a narrow 2 lane road.  The detour was well marked and was probably 60 miles.  This was one of the sights along the detour.

Can't you just hear it?
I was getting low on Jack Daniels so started looking for a liquor store without much luck.  I stopped at a package store along the road and asked for a bottle and he said we don't sell liquor and told me where  I could find an ABC store several miles back.  I decided to go on and while on the detour the first town I came to I inquired at a convenience store.  They gave me some complicated directions about 3 miles in the opposite direction I was going to go but I headed that way.  After asking three more times I finally found this store and purchased some JD.

They don't make it easy in North Carolina to buy liquor so if you come here bring a bigger bottle if you partake. The ironic thing is I pulled in to get this room at a Comfort Inn and a half block away is an ABC store.  Go figure!
This is a real nice motel and I am on the third floor but the air conditioner was crawling with ants so I told the manager and they will take care of it after I leave.  Tomorrow I will head back up the Parkway and I hope have more good weather.  It was actually cool out going to dinner and I walked the short distance.

No comments: