Saturday, June 5, 2010

From Russellville, AR to Natchez, MS

I had another good day to ride although it did get up to 93 for a short time. By the time I got to Natchez it cooled to the low 80's due to rain showers which I managed to miss. I guess that is cooler than the 96 at Topeka today. Last year when I went to Alaska the 2nd week in June went over 100 and darn I missed it. Hope I miss that really hot weather again this year.
I had problems with Lola today but I think I have that corrected now. I don't have a route programmed in but like to watch it so I know where I am without having to go to the maps. I got into some construction today at El Dorado, AR and the route wasn't marked very well so I made a few wrong turns.

South of Russellville I came to Nimrod Lake and pulled off to take a look at it.
There were plenty of great curves to ride today and this is a motorcyclist delight.
After I got south of El Dorado the road was mostly 4 lane and then I got on I-20 heading to Monroe, LA. I headed south on 425 towards Natchez. This is all flat Delta country and very agriculture. Most of the wheat was harvested and the corn was all tasseled with corn in the silk or later. Some of the wheat stubble had already been planted to something else and most all is irrigated. I saw rice up and they were flooding the fields. There was cotton, wheat, corn and soybeans in various stages. Oh and I saw fresh tomatoes at food stands along the way. It made my mouth water.

I came through one town on 425 and they must have had two miles of flags displayed. I took a picture but it doesn't begin to show what I saw.

I made it to Natchez and crossed the Mississippi river,

I have traveled 836 miles to Natchez, MS and will start up the Natchez Trace tomorrow. I hope to make a side trip to Vicksburg on the way north.

No comments: