Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10

Today I left from Greybull, WY and ended up in Missoula, MT. It was 43 degrees and raining when I left and got down to 36 up in the mountains. When I entered Yellowstone there was a sign up that said either snow tires or chains and I asked if I could make it on a motorcycle and she said “yes they have the roads clear now”. I was able to use my Golden Age Passport and saved the $20 entrance fee. Great to be old!

About 20 miles after I was traveling about 70 mph when three antelope decided they wanted on the other side of the road. Thank heavens for antilock brakes. The pavement was wet and two made it across and the third was determined to follow so I really had to put the binders on.
From June 10
I stopped about 8 AM at Granny’s cafĂ© in Cody and had a great breakfast.

Just west of Cody is the Bill Cody reservoir. I took these pictures near the dam.
From June 10
From June 10
It was very snowy in Yellowstone and apparently snowed last night as the trees still had snow on them.
From June 10
The lakes were still covered with ice.
From Alaska Favorites
I came across a bison wandering down the center line of the road and would now move over. When I rode by he scowled at me.
From Alaska Favorites
It's rather amazing to see all the steam coming from the ground when it is so cold.
From Alaska Favorites
From June 10
From June 10
The Yellowstone lake is huge and was free from ice.
From June 10
This was a neat waterfalls with the water cascading down.
From Alaska Favorites
There was a large herd of bison with their young. I also saw many other herds and singles.
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
There were quite a few people fly fishing. I spoke with one and he caught two trout.
From Alaska Favorites
From June 10
From June 10
More waterfalls.
From Alaska Favorites
I saw several elk and deer. Here are some pictures of elk.
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
Montana is the Big Sky Country and I believe this picture shows that.
From Alaska Favorites
And see that blue sky? It finally reached 70 degrees by the time I reached Missoula. I had not planned on coming this far west but yesterday the clutch on my GS started slipping and was worse today so I am headed to the BMW dealer in the morning. I hope they can get it fixed. I am exhasted so better sign off.

No comments: