Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 13 and 14

I started the day by updating my blog and then loading everything up. I checked the oil and it was low so walked to a station for a quart of oil. I about had to take out a loan to pay the $8.50. Things are really expensive in Canada and for every dollar Canadian it costs me 3 % fee on the credit card and our dollar is only worth .89 cents. The last time I was up here it was the other way around so I guess they are getting even with us. I stopped by the office for a cup of coffee, a large muffin, two hard boiled eggs and an apple for later. So that helped take some of the sting out of the motel price. I didn’t leave until around 8:30 so it was a late start for me. It was a good day to ride and would say great but it was rather windy at times. I dodged two thunderstorms today and saw a wonderful rainbow just as I arrived here in Fort Nelson. I sat out the rain in a car wash. Couldn’t get out of town to get a good unobstructed picture.
From June 13 & 14
From Alaska Favorites
When I came through Dawson Creek I had to stop for the picture for the start of the Alcan.
From Alaska Favorites
I am staying at the Westend Campground which is the same place I stayed 6 years ago. I had a bad campsite then so looked it over before selecting one tonight. There a a lot of people here and they all like to talk so I have visited with some from Missouri, California and Michigan. Great to visit with different people. Last time I was here it was Jenea’s birthday and I called and left a message and tomorrow is William’s birthday so I need to call him. I have been using Skype to call Mary and in two calls have not spent a dollar yet. Less than .02 per minute and if I can do the video it is free. I saw a moose today but didn’t stop for a picture. I will probably see others. There is 2 hours difference now between here and Kansas and will lose another hour somewhere around Alaska. Sunday June 14 was a great day.

I got a good nights sleep and it was nice and quiet. Shortly after going to bed a thunderstorm came through and I think that helped quiet things down. I got up around 5:30 and called my Grandson William as today is his birthday. We chatted a bit then I loaded everything up and headed out. I stopped at Tetsa River services about 60 miles west of Fort nelson. I wished I had stayed there last night. Looked liked a nice place and several motorcyclists staying there. I had an omlette and coffee and both were excellent. I was in no hurry today as I only planned on getting to Watson Lake and it was only 336 miles. I tried to get a motel but they wanted $115 and they didn't look good. So I am in a campground again and it was only $10.50. I may be here two nights as I am going to change the oil and get the knobby tires installed. I found a place that will mount them about 1 AM tomorrow so we will see. I will change the oil in the morning and I will take the wheels off and they can mount them. I will probably do laundry after that. I was going to do it tonight and then I thought that would be foolish. I weather today was great, in the upper 50's to mid 60's. The scenery between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake is fantastic.
From June 13 & 14
From June 13 & 14

I saw lots of wildlife and took some good pictures.
From June 13 & 14
From Alaska Favorites
From June 13 & 14
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
From June 13 & 14
From June 13 & 14
From Alaska Favorites

There was a fire that has burned for two weeks. It was near Laird and Coal Rivers. I stopped a talked with some of the firefighters and they said it has burned about 200,000 acres. It seemed to be about 15 miles long where it burned.
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
I made it to Yukon Territory again.
From Alaska Favorites

No comments: