Monday, June 29, 2009

June 28

There were quite a few bikes at the motel and most were from Anchorage. They had been to Dawson City for the Dust to Dawson rally and had came through Chicken yesterday. They had lots of rain and mud.
From June 28
I got up this morning about 6AM and checked e-mail and a few things before my time expired for the Internet. I went back to bed for a while then got up and went to the cafe for breakfast. It seemed warmer than last evening. After breakfast I took the bike and went to the grocery store and picked up a few items and then filled with gas.
I got everything packed and ready to go then waited for church at 10AM. There were about 30 in attendance and 7 of those were travelers. I left Tok about 11AM. I thought there was going to be construction and the first sign I seen said construction the next 38 miles. Well it was all finished and the roads in Alaska were great. I crossed the border but the Canadian customs is not for about another 20 miles.
From June 28
From June 28
I pulled into on rest stop and this guy was looking for a handout.
From June 28
There was off and on rain most of the day so I didn't take as many pictures and also it has to be pretty good now to warrant a picture. I did pull over for these swans and had a surprise when I seen a small one with the male.
From Alaska Favorites
The female was on the nest.
From Alaska Favorites
There was some scenery that warranted a picture.
From June 28
From June 28
From June 28
This is Kluane lake which goes on forever.
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
From Alaska Favorites
From June 28
From June 28
As soon as got in Canada the roads went to pot. There were many areas where the ground caved in and so there were huge dips. Some are hidden and give you quite a thrill when you fly over them and bottom out. There were several long stretches of gravel where there was construction. This went on for about 150 and the the roads improved. My tires are about gone so I did not go to Haines. I am staying in Whitehorse tonight. The first place I stopped looked rather bad and they wanted $119 so the next one wanted $89 for non-smoking but had no WiFi so I found Westmark that is nice for $109 and has WiFi. I walked down to the Boston Pizza for pizza and a Yukon Red beer that is brewed and bottled in Whitehorse. It still cost $5.25. I will head for Watson Lake in the morning.

No comments: